There are three main ways to align your teeth and get a perfect Hollywood smile.
Take a look at the following orthodontic treatments available to you at Healthy Smiles Dental to straighten your teeth, and discover which one is best for you:
Orthodontic appliances are used to align teeth, correct malocclusions and improve the dental health of people. It is an especially effective treatment in children, but it can also correct smile imperfections in adults.
Braces are the most commonly used to straighten teeth. They can be made out of metal, ceramic, composite or a combination of several of these materials. Braces work through the constant application of forces in the teeth to move them in the necessary positions. This treatment can usually last between one and two years.
- Braces work very well in the vast majority of cases
- This teeth alignment will last forever if retainers are used
- Teeth are not worn out
- Perfect teeth hygiene must be maintained, since food remains can usually accumulate
- In some cases, they can cause some irregularities to the teeth, due to the use of fixation substances
- They can cause small wounds in the mouth, especially at the beginning of treatment
- They require the use of retainers
- They could compromise aesthetics, although nowadays you can find both ceramic and transparent braces
Invisible orthodontics or Invisalign, consists of virtually invisible aligners that are made of thermoplastic material. For this treatment, the patient must take at least one year to get the teeth moved in the desired way.
- They are almost invisible
- They are very comfortable to wear
- They lead to fewer emergencies since they cause less soft tissue damage
- Easy dental hygiene
- You can drink and eat what you want because they are removable
- If you use them correctly for 22 hours a day, you will get great results
- You have to remove them to eat or drink, which can be a bit annoying
- If you do not use them properly, they do not achieve the expected results
- They are more expensive than traditional braces
Veneers are made to measure thin porcelain sheets designed to cover the front of the teeth to improve their appearance. They are built with porcelain or composite resin and are customized for each case to achieve the necessary color, shape, size and length, then, they are fixed to the teeth themselves.
Veneers are used to fix teeth that are discolored, worn, chipped, broken, misaligned, uneven, or that have an irregular shape.
- They give a natural appearance to the teeth
- They do not disturb soft tissues of the teeth
- Porcelain veneers are resistant to stains
- They make your teeth look whiter
- Most of them require a partial removal of the enamel, which is an irreversible procedure
- They are more expensive than other treatments
- They are difficult to repair according to the material they were manufactured with
- They are not indicated for people with bruxism
Veneers, braces and Invisalign are treatments that have advantages and disadvantages, and all of them can be useful according to the needs of each patient. In the end, getting a proper teeth alignment means much more than just getting the perfect smile. When your teeth are perfectly aligned, they are easier to brush, floss and clean, which means that you will have more chances to avoid both tooth decay and gum disease.